An entity or group of people working together not for profits but for the welfare of the general public or a particular group of people or with an agenda of helping the community in some way, as per law, has an option of registering themselves as a SOCIETY to gain a legal status. A non-commercial organization with seven or more persons coming together for any scientific,literary or charitable purposes or for purposes as mentioned in section 20 of The Societies Registration Act, 1860, may get Society Registration under the act by subscribing their names to a Memorandum of Association, and filing the same with Registrar of Joint-stock Companies.
Section 20 mentions the following societies shall fall under this act and may be registered under so:
• Charitable societies
• the military orphan funds or societies established at the several presidencies of India
• societies established for-
1. the promotion of science, literature, or the fine arts for instruction
2. the diffusion of useful knowledge
3. the diffusion of political education
4. the foundation or maintenance of libraries or reading-rooms for general use among the members or open to the public
• public museums and galleries of
1. paintings and other works of art
2. collections of natural history
3. mechanical and philosophical inventions
• Trust Deed Drafting
• Trust Deed registration
• Registration No.
• PAN Registration
• A covering letter with a request to register the society under the law.
• A Memorandum of Association
• Copy of Rules and Regulation of the Society
• List of all members of the Society
• Affidavits of the office bearers
• Residential proof of all the members
• Proof of address of the registered address, or NOC from the Landlord
• ALL the above documents require being submitted to the Registrar of the Societies with the requisite fee as prescribed in 2 copies, one which shall be returned as an acknowledgment. Upon careful examination of the documents, an Incorporation Certificate with a registration number shall be allotted.
• The procedure till the allotment of the Incorporation Certificate takes about 1 month of time to be completed.